Friday, December 11, 2009

The Metroid Prime Trilogy: A First Person Shooter... Kind of...

So I'm playing through the Metroid Prime Trilogy. The first two of the set were released on GameCube a few years ago and the final was released on Wii about a year and a half maybe 2 years ago. They then updated the graphics from the first two games, implemented Wii controls and released the whole trilogy, all three games, for $50... I then found it on sale at Target for $30 and had to have it... seriously? Three games from one of my favorite titles(Metroid) for $30? All I'm saying is that it's an awesome deal.

So I don't know how much you know about Metroid Prime. Metroid started as a Side Scrolling puzzle platformer on NES. The defining game in the series was a similar style game on SNES: "Super Metroid". Then after the N64 on the GameCube, Metroid was changed from a 2-D platformer into a 3-D First person shooter: "Metroid Prime".

There's the brief history for you. I've played the first and the third games and I'm really looking forward to playing the second one. But I'm troubled by a few things: while it is a FPS, it isn't like any other FPS I've ever played. The game is all about solidarity, being alone. The soundtrack, the level designs, the details, everything identifies you as this person who is very, very alone. Other FPS(i.e. Halo, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor) are all about the giant battles, the combat, being a one man army. Not this game; it finds success in forcing the player to be alone and to solve these puzzles not knowing when a flood of enemies will jump out at you(and they do jump out at you... very creepy)

The funny thing to me is that even though FPS, First Person Shooter, is really only a description of the camera angle and what kind of weapons you have, still that label: FPS, means a lot more than that. I hear about a game being a First Person Shooter and instantly I imagine a war game. I imagine the big explosions and fighting along side other people. When I hear FPS, I don't think about anything that describes Metroid Prime except for the fact that I see through the character's eyes and use a gun.

Anyway, I'm loving the games, it's actually got a pretty cool local multiplayer if we ever get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment