Thursday, April 28, 2011

NBA Jam Revisited

I recently had the pleasure to play the NBA Jam on Sega Genesis and then play NBA Jam on Nintendo Wii. After putting about two hours into the original and then several play sessions into the new one, I can't help but be pleased with both. The original will always stay in my heart as one of the great competitive multiplayer games of past generations. Few moments rival dunking in you friends face, setting the net on fire. Well, few other than sinking that fade away three while they try to block with no avail since, well, you're on fire . . .

EA Sports has once again given me these simple pleasures along with a slew of new pleasures. Between the slightly tweaked gameplay, the classic look and feel of NBA Jam, and the new multiplayer suite, I'm enjoying NBA Jam on Wii far more than I should.

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way, but it is dated gameplay, cheap AI and repetitive mechanics. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it for 30-45 minutes at a time, especially with three friends next to me.

That said, give NBA Jam on any of the three consoles a try. It doesn't thrill in a Mass Effect, GTA, or even a FIFA 11 way, but it is a nice trip back to a simpler time. We love our simulations, but sometimes it is good to know that I can shove my opponent to the floor, take the ball and reduce the basket to smoke and ash.

I guess the question is if you should dust off your older system to play NBA Jam or actually drop the cash on the new one. I would argue that the new modes(particularly the free for all modes) add a whole new level to NBA Jam's multiplayer suite. Now, not only can you team up 2v2 with your friends, you can take them all on in games like 21(with put backs to reduce your opponent's score) or Domination.(make shots from places on the floor to "win" them for a time and gain points for having spots on the floor "won")

Remix Tour and Remix 2v2 Jam - These are less than impressive. I had much more fun just playing the normal Jam Season and normal 2v2. The inclusion of super powered bosses and power ups don't add much in the way of pure gameplay, they feel more gimmicky.

Another worth addition to NBA Jam is the spin move and crossover. These two additions, along with the standard steal, shove, and throwing elbows open up strategy a bit. Sometimes I don't want to pick up my dribble by throwing elbows, but it was my only option for getting a pesky defensive player off my back. Now, if they are coming in for a steal, a cross over will make them stumble(or fall depending on their stats). Then if they prefer the more aggressive shove, I have the option to spin off it and end up wide open for a drive or shot. My only complaint is that on the lower difficulties, the crossover and spin move are a bit too effective. They essentially make your teammate a flashy accessory for if you want some alley oops to mix it up. As you ramp up the difficulty, however, the moves balance out and make excellent additions to the core experience.

The best thing that NBA Jam has going for it is that it feels like the original experience without getting too tired. Multiplayer is a rush with enough variety to reach out players of different skill levels. If you have a lot of people over and want to have another multiplayer option without split screen, this is a great addition. If you just want the nostalgia, rent it and play through the single player modes.

No comments:

Post a Comment